Home / Financial Resources / Emergency Funds

Emergency Funds


There may be unexpected financial burdens that arise, and to help offset those costs there are efforts to  to assist undergraduate and graduate students who are facing significant financial difficulties that jeopardize their path to graduation. Please do not hesitate to contact any of the resources listed, if you need assistance. Visit the Division of Student Affairs to look at all the various servicing departments that best fit your need for a broader sense of resources.

FINANCIAL CRISIS RESPONSE TEAM (Open to ALL Students, Grad and Undergrad, Including but not limited to Undocumented Students, International Students, etc.)

After all financial aid options including loans have been exhausted, the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships provides assistance such as meal vouchers, referrals to on campus resources, possible grant assistance (students must complete the Financial Crisis Team application and be reviewed), International Student Loan. To contact the Financial Crisis Response Team, email financialcrisis@sa.ucsb.edu.


Short Term Emergency Loans


The Alumni Association provides $250 in emergency loan monies, with varying repayment terms to Graduate students only (undocumented AB540 students are eligible) who are experiencing a financial emergency. The student must submit an application form with valid photo ID. Visit the UCSB Alumni Association office in the Mosher Alumni House, located off of Mesa Road and near Campbell Hall. Applications not submitted in person will not be considered. To verify availability of funding or to schedule an appointment, call (805) 893-3767.

ALUMNI ASSOCIATION LOANS (Undergraduate Students Only)

The Alumni Association provides $100 in emergency loan monies with a $1 handling fee, which must be repaid in 30 days to undergraduate students only (undocumented AB540 students are eligible) who are experiencing a financial emergency. Students can download an application at here and deliver it in person to the UCSB Alumni Association office in the Mosher Alumni House, located off of Mesa Road and near Campbell Hall. Applications not submitted in person will not be considered. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call (805) 893-3767.

Associated Students Emergency Loan 

Associated Students offers an interest free loan in amount of either $200, $400 or $600 for an academic quarter to any enrolled students. There is a processing fee of $5 and a $10 processing/assessment fee by BARC billing. The student must repay the loan within 30 days.


The Short Term Emergency Loan Program allows students to receive an advancement of their pending Financial Aid for the current quarter due to an emergency expense. To apply, one must visit the office, and one can apply for a maximum of $1,000. Once processed, the loan will be issued as a paper check that you must pick up from the BARC Office between 3 PM - 4 PM on the following business day after you apply for the loan.

Office of Student Life/Dean of Students Emergency Loans (Undergradaute Students Only) 

These loans are available for undergraduate students experiencing serious financial difficulties that jeopardize their success or continued enrollment at UCSB and who have exhausted all other resources. Repayment is 1 year or before graduation (flexible based on circumstances). Contact the Student and Parent Liaison at (805) 893-4521 or (805) 893-4569 to discuss whether you might be eligible.

Emergency Grants (General & Medical)


AS/EOP Grants (EOP members only) 

The AS/EOP funds are to be used to meet unusual educationally-related expenses that are incurred by regularly enrolled student members of the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP).To apply students need to make an appointment to see a counselor in the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP). Areas covered by the grant include dental/medical, graduate school testing fees, textbooks and supplies, and emergency grants. If eligible students will complete the application while with the EOP counselor. Appointments may be scheduled by calling (805) 893-4758 or stopping by the EOP front desk in the Student Resource Building, Suite 2210

Campus Advocacy, Resources, and Education (CARE) Emergency Fund

(CARE) Program assists survivors of interpersonal violence by providing advocacy and accompaniment services. Professional advocates with CARE specialize in helping individuals heal after an experience with sexual assault, dating/domestic violence, stalking, or sexual harassment by connecting them to other campus and community resources and helping them navigate different medical, legal, and campus processes. To apply, contact CARE at 805-893-4613 to schedule an appointment. If you have general questions about this fund, you can call the Women’s Center office manager at (805) 893-3779.


The Women’s Center provides small emergency grants to women who are single student parents. Grant amounts vary and are determined on a case-by-case basis. To apply, first contact Assistant Dean of Students and WGSE Director Kim Equinoa at  (805) 893-3858 or kim.equinoa@sa.ucsb.edu to schedule an appointment. Students can receive this grant a maximum of one time per year. The turnaround time is approximately 1-2 weeks.

GSA EMERGENCY RELIEF FUND (Graduate Students Only)

The GSA Emergency Relief Grant was approved by the UCSB graduate student body in 2011 and is designed to help graduate students who are experiencing sudden financial distress due to unforeseen circumstances  The amount of an award ranges between $100 and $1000 depending upon individual circumstances. Please visit here for the application.

GUARDIAN SCHOLARS FUND (Guardian Scholars Only)

Emergency grants of varying amounts are available for Guardian Scholars (former Foster Youth) experiencing serious financial difficulties. Requests are reviewed by a committee in consultation with Financial Aid. To apply, contact Lisa Przekop in the Office of Admissions at lisa.przekop@sa.ucsb.edu.


SMERF was designed to assist UCSB students experiencing medical emergencies and students who have graduated will be eligible up to one quarter after their graduation date if they incurred a medical emergency during a quarter in which they were enrolled. Moreover, a student is eligible if they are unable to pay existing, anticipated or outstanding medical expenses. Any inquiries can be directed to the SMERF Account Manager at SMERF@essr.ucsb.edu or (805) 893-3253


The Orion fund provides grants up to $5,000 toward uncovered medical costs, medical technology, educational costs, and living expenses to college students in California who are living with serious, noncongenital illness and injury so they may continue working toward their educational goals. Grants are applied to cover the costs of medical crises that occurred within the previous year. To apply, an application form, personal statement, letters from medical/other advisors, unofficial transcript, copies of medical or other bills are required, please visit http://theorionfund.org/grants.php.

DANNY RILEY FUND (MEDICAL, Undergraduate Students Only)

The Danny Riley Fund was created to assist undergraduate students who are suffering from cancer and other serious, chronic illnesses, and to help them remain actively engaged in their educational careers and achieve their full potential. Grants of varying amounts are used to support these students and their families, thereby easing their financial burdens while attending to their medical needs. To apply, contact the Disabled Students Program director at (805) 893-2182 or (805) 893-2668.